HARRY POTTER PARTY!

Obviously Harry Potter parties are NOT just for boys but this little boy loves Harry Potter and has been planning/making requests for this party for some time now. I hope you’re ready for LOTS of pictures!

Banner made from chapter pages from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Did you know you can buy used books on borders.com for $1.09? I bought the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover for $10. It’s a pain to go through and navigate the used books on there but was well worth it in my opinion to get them all for so cheap!

Platform 9 and 3/4 sign from HERE

The spread and the details Some of the labels are from here and I made the others using this and this

And the joke shop/wand shop

The Great Hall

Waiting “patiently” for friends to arrive we decided to play in the transfiguration (photo) booth

And dance akwardly like the scene in Deathly Hallows Part 1 ;)

When the friends arrived they bought their wands (wooden dowels with designs made from a wood burning tool) and sat down to scratched the sorting hat scratchers! I had heard of a REALLY cute idea of making a sorting hat and putting a baby monitor in it to make it talk but I saw this cute tutorial on Pinterest on making your own scratchers so we did those instead. They were in either Gryffindor or Slytherin.

Then it was time for Potions! We used Hippogriff saliva (bubble solution) and a goblin crystal (dry ice) to make a smoky, bubbly concoction. The boys thought it was so cool how it sounded just like they thought a potion would sound like.

We played find the golden dragon egg (Dad was the dragon) and headed outside to play Quidditch (in 104F)

Then it was back inside to cool off with a drinkable color changing potion! I put drops of food coloring at the bottom of the cups a while before the party so they had dried a bit, put ice in the cups and then they got to put Sprite in to see the colors change. We added some Pop Rocks just for fun.

Then we played the best game of all – a Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Bean spinner game. There are several of each of the same color bean in the container but you don’t know whether it’s the good flavor or the bad flavor. There was canned dog food, barf, and skunk spray to name a few. We made sure to give each boy a cup in case they got the bad flavors. The faces were hysterical!

They decided it was time for good food so we had snacks, cupcakes, and Butterbeer (cream soda with butterscotch and whipped cream)!

While they were snacking I passed out papers with an owl print that folded into a paper airplane. They wrote their notes on the back and I showed them how to fold them up and fly them around. A ministry of magic memo :)

Then they went shopping at the joke shop where I dramatically demostrated the jokes.

Opened presents and ran around like boys do until the parents came. It was SO much fun!

CLICK HERE to see his awesome Harry Potter cake and HERE to see the invitation.

Linking to Design Dazzle

These boy party ideas were also featured on Spaceships and Laser Beams.

Comments

1. Grace says

I'm not ashamed to admit my love for Harry Potter and this party looks awesome! So fun! Happy Birthday to your Colton. :)

2. Tracie says

Noah hasn't stopped buzzing about the party! Very creative and a load of fun! Great job!! Happy Birthday Colton!

3. says

This makes me wish my kids were old enough to watch {and love} Harry Potter as much as I do! What a great party! I may just steal each and every one of your ideas someday down the road. :D

4. Caroline says

Where did you find that GREAT Griffin image on your sons t-shirt? I have been searching for it but can't find it. Your party has inspired me!!

5. says

Utterly FANTASTIC party! Absolutely love every bit of it. And how creative to use pages from the books for the banner. Also loved the butterbeer. Would love to give that a try with my HP loving kids.

6. says

I just wanted to say a big thanks for this post! I'm hosting a HP party for my nearly 9 year old today! And your party was one of my main sources of inspiration. So many great ideas and details. I used a lot of them for our party! I didn't have time to do everything I wanted to do, but I think our party is going to be pretty great! I'll share details on my blog eventually and will be sure to link back to you. Thanks again!

7. Michelle says

I am planning a party for next weekend & just wanted to thank you for all your great ideas & links!! I am SO inspired now!!!

8. Carmen says

Hey! We are having a Harry Potter party Saturday. I like your sorting hat scratcher ideas. I looked up how to make scratchers, and I am going to try it. HOwever, I am wondering what your sorting hat scratcher says. Thanks!

9. Lauren says

How did you make the labels for everything? ie the Butterbeer, Acid Pops, etc? Thanks!!! I'd love to do this in my classroom with some of these ideas :)

10. nicole says

i'm so completely jealous of your kid's party!!! can i be his friend?!?! wow! what great details, yet the party didnt seem overdone and the pictures make it look like the kids had fun! cool!!!

11. says

I love this Harry Potter Bday party. My daughters are too young for it, but I am not.
    Believe it or not, I am really considering to this idea for my next Bday.

Amalia