San Francisco has captured our hearts. We drove up (from Phoenix) for a quick trip to attend a family wedding in Napa. Since the boys had never been I decided to stay in San Francisco. We researched a ton of places and really wanted to find a unique property with a great location. Hotel Zephyr definitely met both of those needs.
It is within EASY walking distance to Fisherman’s Wharf and lots of the attractions you’re going to want to visit in the area. We saw a ton in our short visit because we chose to stay here.
They also have a really great lobby and game room (which obviously the boys loved as well). They recently re-learned to play pool and are all about it lately!
I love when properties add details like this because it really gives families and older kids things to do besides watch tv during their vacation down time. Oh yeah, Leo was in the lobby too 😉The standard rooms are small (which I found to be pretty consistent throughout this area) but beautifully designed and equipped with games, a mini fridge (not all properties in the area had them), coffee maker and a smart tv for the kids and adults.
Here are some tips from us if you’re thinking about visiting:
- If you like or need a lot of space definitely go for one of the more upgraded rooms, otherwise the standard rooms are beautiful, clean and perfect if you don’t plan on spending tons of time in them. They do have 32 sets of connecting rooms which we may start doing with the boys as they won’t stop growing!
- You may be able to get a room upgrade if you book on their site and post on their page on Facebook!
- I preferred the views from the upper level rooms but the 2nd floor rooms had easier access to use the stairs instead of waiting for the elevator.
- You do have to pay for parking if you have a car. San Francisco is easy to get around in without one – walking, trolleys, taxis, Uber etc. but if you’re like us and drove up plan on paying a good amount for parking (right now it’s $49 per day +tax) which is true of all hotels we researched in the area.
- If the game room is empty take advantage of it! There were lots of groups visiting the area and would come in and out of the hotel so sometimes it was busy and others it wasn’t.
- No food on site but you can walk to a number of places and bring it back to eat in the yard. They will also happily help open wine bottles.
It really was what we were hoping for and I’m so glad we chose to stay at Hotel Zephyr. We did get a small media discount but all photos/opinions are my own. It’s an excellent choice for families, especially those with older kids/teens like ours!
Stay tuned to see our favorite San Francisco spots!
Author: Allison Waken
Allison Waken is a wife, mom of boys and Phoenix, AZ native. She has been creating inspiring content for All for the Boys since 2011. Allison loves travel, movies and spending as much time as possible with her family while she can!