As always, ages can range a bit depending on the kid but here are some unique gift ideas for kids ages 9-12 (or tweens). I find this age difficult to shop for if you don’t know the kid well or if they don’t know what they want themselves!
*Post contains affiliate links.
Sometimes you can find gifts based on their likes (Star Wars collectibles, LEGO sets, video games) but if you aren’t sure, or their interests change often, it can get a little tougher. Here are some gift ideas we came up with for this year!
- Jumbie Jam Steel Drum – Something you might have never thought of, but is sure to be a hit! Learn how to play even if you don’t know how to read sheet music.
- MOGA Pro Power – if your tween has an android device this can turn it into a mobile gaming system! Perfect for those that are on the road often.
- Air Hammock/Inflatable Lounger – whatever you want to call them, I’m sure you’ve seen these but might have forgotten about them as a gift idea. Great for home or on the go!
- Powerup 3.0 Smartphone Controlled Paper Airplane – Yes. A paper airplane you can control with your phone!
- LED Battling Tank Toys – drive the tanks around and battle with friends. These battle by registering hits with infrared wavelengths!
- GeoFlux 3-D Kinetic Sculpture – difficult to explain but inexpensive and addictive to play with! Put your hand through the coils, then spiral up & down your arm. Play solo or with a friend: Roll the GeoFlux from one arm to the other, or pass from your arm to a friend’s.
- G-max Junior Jumping Boots – these fun “kangaroo” jumping boots are good up to 110lbs. A great way to get some energy out!
- Just the Ticket: Ticket Stub Organizer – does your tween love saving movie or concert stubs? This is a great time to start them collecting their memorabilia and this book is the perfect place to do it.
- Spike Ball – A hit from Shark Tank. “You smack the palm-sized ball down on the net so it ricochets up at your opponents. They have up to three hits between them (just like volleyball) to control it and bounce it back to you. When they miss, you score. First team to 21 wins.”
- Money Maze Puzzle Box – even if you decide to give money to go towards a larger item they’re saving for (kids this age usually are), clothes or whatever they want, give it in this fun maze box. They have to solve the maze to get to the money!
You can also check out our other gift guides from this year and the last few years for more great ideas! I try not to duplicate so there are some items we would have added here that are on our older lists!
Author: Allison Waken
Allison Waken is a wife, mom of boys and Phoenix, AZ native. She has been creating inspiring content for All for the Boys since 2011. Allison loves travel, movies and spending as much time with her family while she can!