Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser, Walmart Family Mobile. All opinions are mine alone. #YourTaxCash #CollectiveBias
One of the questions I get asked often is “how do you pay for all your adventures” and the answer to that is being creative with our income! Lots of savings and spending differently than an average family might. We piggy-back on work trips and take lots of road trips. I thought I’d get creative juices flowing to come up with some ideas for your family to enjoy more experiences by sharing 5 FUN ways to stretch your tax refund.
A tax refund is always a nice surprise and can be spent in so many ways. Here are some ways that will help increase the family fun!
- A New Phone with a Big Pool of Data – Mobile devices can suck a TON of money out of monthly budgets. Especially if you have teens/tweens in the family with phones. I love choices and knowing what’s out there so make sure you do your research. Many families are choosing to have an extra phone for emergencies at home or on the go or are adding phones to their family for their kids. Did you know that Walmart has a Family Mobile Plus Plan with Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data (which includes up to 10GB of 4G LTE then 2G) PLUS a free VUDU movie credit every month ($7 value) per line for $49.88?! This ends up being an amazing value for us and the added bonus of not having to tell the boys that they can’t download a new movie or show us the YouTube video they are talking about because we have to watch data limits. If you’re not familiar with Walmart Family Mobile, it’s SO simple to start up. We bought a Samsung Galaxy On5 (for only $69 on Rollback) but you can pick any phone or Bring Your Own, and get your SIM Kit for only $19.88 which is all you need to start (no activation fees or anything like that). They bill you later so the phone and the SIM kit is all you need to purchase up front. If you are avid movie watchers like us, the free monthly movie credit (a $7 value – the same as a new release rental) makes this deal that much better. We love to use this as a guaranteed monthly movie night! Another HUGE bonus for me is being able to just buy the phone and SIM kit and go home to activate it myself. No need to wait in the store if you don’t want to (they do help you out if you need it). So how do we use phones with unlimited data for more fun?
- For our favorite road trip activity/time passer
- To share funny videos we’ve seen lately
- Listening to audio books. It’s a huge bummer if you start a book and find out it’s not that good and have no data to download a new one!
- To find new (and good) restaurants on our route
- Play games
- Share music, especially when you think of a song you used to love and need to download it ASAP so everyone can listen to it 😉
- Specifically for work so it can be put away for “play time” and not be distracting
- Road Trip Accessories – Spend some of your refund on fun new road trip accessories like a good ice chest, new headphones, audio books, a bike rack for the car or travel games.
- Start Savings for a Big Vacation – Sit around as a family and come up with a family vacation bucket list. Then start a savings for one of those vacations! Love lists? Print out this Family Travel Bucket List to keep track of the trips the whole family agrees on. Once you start saving you can begin the countdown. Even though you aren’t leaving the next day, you’re extending the fun by giving everyone something to look forward to!
- Improve Every Day Spaces – add some new storage to the kids’ rooms, get a new nightstand to wake up next to, put together a movie night kit with a new tv or projector specifically to use for family movie nights or install a tv/DVD player in the car. By improving your living or spaces you spend lots of time in, you’re adding fun to your every day.
- Experiences – try out some new family experiences. Save money by checking coupon sites or local websites for savings codes. Look for new local spots that you’ve never tried and keep a list on your phone for easy access. I love keeping a list and checking it whenever we’re looking for something to do. Having some extra tax refund left to check off some items on this list would be icing on the cake!
No matter what you’re doing to have extra fun with your tax refund, don’t forget to capture it in photos and video! Having that Walmart Family Mobile Plus Plan with Unlimited* Talk, Text, & Data allows you to do more on the go without going over budget so you really can have more fun! (*Includes up to 10GB of 4G LTE† data then 2G)
Disclaimer: All prices for phones and plans included in this post are accurate as of the date of posting; however, these prices are subject to change. Please refer to http://cbi.as/7e-jr or your local Walmart for current pricing.