We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please see policies for more information.
This post was produced in partnership with Visit San Antonio and Travel Mindset.
Family travel can be tough to plan sometimes. Everyone has different ages, needs and abilities to account for, so it’s not very often that a city can meet so many needs at once. My little family (myself, my husband, and our 2 teenage boys) visited San Antonio together for the first time a few weeks ago, and we were seriously impressed with how great of a location it is for family travel. It definitely has something for everyone along with several things everyone can enjoy together.
7 Great Reasons You Should Visit San Antonio With Your Family
Starting to plan a family trip from scratch can be stressful. There are endless lists of things to take into consideration when planning. After our first visit, we can say for sure that San Antonio is a GREAT place to visit with your family. Here are just 7 great reasons:
- History – Besides the famous Alamo, you can explore San Antonio’s history at Missions National Park which includes Spanish colonial missions established in the 18th century. Check out the Witte Museum to go back even further into the city’s rich history while still entertaining the younger members of the family. San Antonio has several other great museums and historical sites to visit as well.
- Art – With museums, culture parks, theaters, art centers, and even the Culinary Institute of America, there is no shortage of art in this city. Even if you don’t seek it out at a local museum, you’re sure to find inspiring art as you explore the city downtown or in mixed-use spaces.
- Family Time – There are many ways to spend quality time together as a family where everyone will have a good time. The River Walk is the perfect central attraction to bring everyone together. Whether it’s just for dessert and people watching, a narrated tour, shopping, or a long evening walk, the River Walk is sure to have something for every family member. The Historic Pearl District is a great place to gather as a family as is the Hemisfair with a great playground, restaurants, and Yanaguana Garden. You could even schedule a great tour to experience together.
- Food for Everyone – Amazing Tex-Mex, BBQ, artisan pizza, great burgers, and even house-cured charcuterie, San Antonio is a foodie hotspot for sure. We loved Liberty Bar, La Gloria, Acenar, Dough Pizzeria Napoletana, Guenther House, Paleteria, Bottling Dept. Food Hall and the food/drinks at Hotel Valencia. I have to eat gluten-free and had no issues finding great food or places to accommodate my request.
- Things to do – The list of things to do in San Antonio is SO long. If everyone in the family makes a list several things are BOUND to cross over for every single family member. You can look at Visit San Antonio to get all sorts of inspiration on things to do like outdoor adventures, sports, spas, shopping… and check out some of the favorite things we did with our teenagers in San Antonio here.
- Culture – Whether your family just wants to stroll El Mercado (an authentic Mexican marketplace) or explore the life as a Texas patriot at Casa Navarro State Park, this city is teeming with culture.
- Proximity – One of the biggest things that makes San Antonio such a great choice for family travel is the proximity of everything. You could schedule out a full week in the city and still not see or experience all the things San Antonio has to offer. Having teenagers, we loved that we could walk to so many of the places on our list. Everything being close by means more options for the entire family regardless of age or restrictions.
These are just a few of the great reasons to plan your next trip to San Antonio. Be sure to check out Visit San Antonio for even more things to do, places to eat, history, art, culture and more all in San Antonio, Texas.