We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please see policies for more information.
80+ blog buddies and I got together to bring you 80+ DIY Halloween costumes, including this DIY Baymax Costume (2 different ways)! I’m teaming up with Jamie Dorobek and her handmade Halloween costume site, Really Awesome Costumes to bring you all kinds of easy DIY Halloween costume ideas.
Along with our Baymax costume I’m sharing 88+ more really awesome handmade costume ideas from talented bloggers everywhere!
We often make fun costumes using solid tshirts, shorts/pants, paper and duct tape. I love combining these materials to get lots of different looks!
For suited up Baymax you’ll need a red shirt, pants/shorts, purple duct tape, red paper, white paper, elastic string and a black marker. For the shirt “plate” I covered a self healing mat with duct tape (I LOVE using these mats to cut duct tape because you can stick it on and it comes right back off).
Using a ruler and craft knife, trim to shape.
Peel off and stick to the shirt
For the mask you could go quite a few directions. We decided to use a paper mask and used this template from Happy Thought.
Use this template to cut a mask out of red paper. I made mine a bit larger than the template I printed. Fold and secure with glue.
Next, sketch and cut out the “horns”
I decided to attach these with staples but will cover the staples with duct tape circles to protect their heads.
Using whatever you have lying around, cut 2 circles out of duct tape using the self healing mat technique.
Next we’re making the eye cutout, just trace the shape on a piece of white cardstock and cut out.
Trace small circles for the black eyes with a line in between.
I always try to use a person to figure out where eye holes go by having them put the mask on and drawing a small hole where their eyes are. Cut out the eyes in the red part of the mask a bit bigger than the eye holes in the white part.
And the mask is done!
I punched small holes behind the ears and reinforced with a bit of duct tape for the elastic string.
For the white Baymax just repeat the steps for the mask using white cardstock and draw the eyes right on. You could stuff a shirt with a pillow for some extra padding 😉
Hairy Baby! (have you seen the Big Hero 6 trailer?)
And now it’s time for tons more DIY Halloween costume inspiration! Join in on the BLOG HOP! Click on the links below each collage to get the detailed instructions about how to make the costume pictured, just like mine above. Don’t forget to follow the Handamde Halloween Costumes Pinterest Board for even more DIY costume greatness!
1. Handmade Baby Hamburger Costume
3. DIY Minecraft Steve Costume
4. Football Brothers Halloween Costumes with DIY Pads and Onesie
5. Star Trek Halloween Costume for Kids
10. Marty McFly
11. Princess Wedding Dress Costume
12. Handmade Lalaloopsy Doll Costume
13. Homemade Toothless Costume
14. DIY Mermaid For Less Than $20 (No-Sew Option)
16. Mario and Luigi Go Kart Costumes
17. Dog The Bounty Hunter and Beth
18. Family Monsters University Costumes
19. Scooby Doo family costumes
21. Cheap and Easy DIY Spider Costume
27. Elsa crown
29. DIY Pineapple Baby Costume
32. Disney Planes Costume: Dipper
34. Easy Costume Idea – Renaissance Girl
35. 10 Minute Homemade Jellyfish Costume
36. DIY Cat Costume
39. Easy Greek Goddess Costume
40. DIY Family Willy Wonka Costumes
41. DIY No Sew Maleficent Costume
42. No Sew Pineapple Halloween Costume
43. Graveyard Bean Bag Toss: Trunk or Treat Car Costume
44. DIY Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Costumes
45. DIY Raccoon Costume with Printable Mask
46. Easy WildStyle Lego Movie Costume
47. Simple Hello Kitty Costume
48. No Sew Minnie Mouse Costume
49. DIY Inspector Gadget and Penny Costumes
50. DIY Frozen Elsa Dress Baby Edition
51. Fairy Princess Dog Costume
52. DIY Hashtag Halloween Costume
53. Toddler or Baby Egg Costume
57. Baby Short Stack Pancake Costume
58. Elephant and Piggie Halloween Costumes
59. Instagram Halloween Costume
60. Peter Pan & Mr. Smee Halloween Costume
61. Wildstyle Costume from the Lego Movie
62. Fred and Wilma Couples Costume
64. DIY Cruella de Vil Costume for a child
65. Disney Frozen Olaf Halloween Treat Bucket
66. How to Make a Minecraft Steve Head
69. No Sew Cupcake Baker Halloween Costume
70. DIY Skunk Mask
71. Ghostbusters Proton Pack DIY
72. Frozen Anna Costume Tutorial
74. Paw Patrol Halloween Costume
75. No Sew Toothless Dragon Costume
78. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Costume
79. Thrifted Gentleman Spy DIY Halloween Costume
80. DIY Boy Garden Gnome Costume
81. Group Costume: Bob Ross, Happy Tree, & Squirrel
82. DIY Blues Brothers Costumes
86. Easy Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Costume
87. Handmade Teddy Bear Costume
88. Princess Elsa and the Spy Kid
What handmade costume ideas did you love the most?! Be sure to click over to get the costume instructions, pin the costume, and let them know you love it! Also, follow the Handmade Halloween Costume board on Pinterest!