Have you heard that quote “The best camera is the one you have with you”? I 100% agree with this because I can’t tell you how many times I’ve forgotten (or not wanted to carry) my “big” camera with me. My phone is ALWAYS with me and usually the tool I use most when out and about with the family. This means we’ve definitely had some phone mishaps. I’ve learned to plan ahead and make sure my phone/camera is protected when we’re off adventuring! I actually keep several cases on had depending on what we’re doing or where we’re going. Thanks to my partnership with an awesome company – Tech 21 (who also create protection for tablets and laptops too) I am bringing you some tips on protecting your phone while traveling so you never miss a photo!
Things to consider when choosing a phone case for your adventure:
- Will you be IN the water? You can still protect your phone even if you’re planning on getting in! Tech 21 Evo Aqua is a case that protects in the water while leaving you open access to your screen which I LOVE. It also leaves open access to your camera on the iPhone 7 Plus which was the total tipping point for me. The biggest thing that bugs me about my husband’s protective case is that it covers his camera lens (the whole reason I choose a certain phone to begin with). This way I can protect my phone when we are in/around water but I don’t feel like I need to change it out as soon as we are out.
- Will you have access to a charger? Some trips you can carry around your favorite portable charger or you’ll be in the car. Others, you may have a fear of running low. If you will be on the go and don’t want to carry around an extra charger, check out a battery charging case.
- Will you be taking photos? No matter what type of adventure you’re going on, I’m sure you’re going to want to take photos. Make sure you test your camera with your cases on – with AND without flash. There’s nothing worse that discovering after the fact that your case interferes with your flash and you have unusable photos.
- Are you going to need unrestricted access to the speakers or headphone jack/plug? Sometimes you’ll want to plug in headphones and other times you’re just using Bluetooth. Make sure you are able to utilize your accessories easily.
- Useable – is your case comfortable to hold, fit your style, feel like it’s going to slip out of your hand any minute? For an all around, everyday any adventure type of case I prefer slim with drop protection. The Tech 21 Evo Gem case has been my “go to”. It’s pretty AND functional with it’s 3m/9.9ft drop protection. I don’t want my regular case to make my phone so huge it’s cumbersome to use and tough to hold on to.
- Back it up. Take an extra case with you! You never know what might come up and you don’t want to have to spend time on a trip looking for suitable protection.
There’s no point in having a great phone camera if you’re not going to use it right?! Having a good camera phone means less to carry and worry about while traveling especially if you want to worry more about just being in the moment. Think about where you’re going, what you’re planning to do and pack some appropriate protection for the trip. One size doesn’t fit all for me. I like options!
Take LOTS of photos, let the kids take photos, have fun, let life happen and capture those memories!
Author: Allison Waken
Allison Waken is a wife, mom of boys and Phoenix, AZ native. She has been creating inspiring content for All for the Boys since 2011. Allison loves travel, movies and spending as much time as possible with her family while she can!