We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please see policies for more information.
(Disclosure: Post contains affiliate links)
I don’t know about any of you, but spelling practice for my boys has always been BORING. We tried to do it while driving, but even then it wasn’t always their favorite. Especially if it was for words they were struggling with, they needed to write them down. Here are some fun ideas for interactive spelling practice that might make it a little less boring.
- Spell the words in a different accent.
- Write them on a window with window markers or crayons (the big back glass doors are great for this if you have one).
- Type it out on the computer or tablet (or use the tablet and pen to write it – more fun that regular paper!)
- Spell while throwing a ball – each letter as it’s thrown or get the family involved and each person spells a word when they catch it.
- Spell while jumping rope/on the trampoline.
- Shaving cream/pudding/salt in a tray or on the table to write words with your fingers.
- Spelling while on a balance or Spooner board.
- Spell while dribbling.
- Spell while bouncing on a hopper ball.
- Paint with water on concrete. (paintbrush, bucket of water, dry concrete)
Really anything active your kid(s) like to do can be mixed with spelling practice. It keeps them moving/interested while still practicing their spelling words. How do you get your active kids to practice “boring” memorization facts?