We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please see policies for more information.
I love play dough. I know it’s messy, but I love it and always have. By itself or with cookie cutters, knives, toys… The problem for some with traditional homemade play dough is that it’s main ingredient is wheat flour. Yes, you’re not eating it but some kids are very sensitive or, like me, I just prefer not to have the flour in the house (it’s a pain to make sure it’s cleaned off of everything).
This recipe is simple, forgiving and feels just like the real thing! Mix it up for the seasons with spices or essential oils, or just leave it as is. Use with toys and other accessories or with just your imagination. It also cleans up easy with a wet rag!
You can whip up this batch in just a few minutes (with some patience for cooling time).
- 1 cup white rice flour
- ½ cup salt (any type fine or coarse)
- ½ cup cornstarch (or tapioca starch)
- 1 Tbsp cream of tartar
- 1.5 tsp canola (or any other oil)
- 1 cup warm water
- as needed optional food coloring
- Essential Oils (optional)
- Mix all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Stir continuously over medium heat making sure to scrape the bottom.
- Continue stirring until the dough is formed (shouldn't take more than 5 minutes).
- You'll notice that the "shine" goes away when it's done.
- Be careful not to burn it!
- Take off heat and allow to cool before adding food coloring (if desired).
- Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
I didn’t have regular salt so I used coarse sea salt and it still turned out great, you can see the bigger salt pieces and it has a fun texture, but otherwise, it’s exactly the same. That’s why I love this recipe so much – use what you have!
Tip: see if you have an Asian food market/store near you. I buy my white rice there for less than $1/lb MUCH cheaper than Amazon or the regular grocery store. Also if you want to add some essential oils but not sure what else you’ll use them for, check out these essential oil recipes for your diffuser.
Make a batch for a party or give as gifts!