We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please see policies for more information.
So you’re headed to the Disneyland Resort (or thinking about it) this summer/fall and you’re wondering what to put on your “must do” list. We’ve pulled together a fun list of things we think you definitely need to check out when you’re there!
In no particular order:
1. The Haunted Mansion! They added the best ghost of all – the hatbox ghost! If you don’t know who the Hatbox Ghost is, he was a part of the attraction originally but the effects weren’t quite what the imagineers wanted. He’s finally back and so very cool! On the ride you can see him just after the bride in the attic scene. he’ll be on your right hand side.
2. The Matterhorn Bobsleds. A long time fave of mine and my boys has been improved once again and this time with an all new Abominable Snowman along with some other changes. We rode both sides (they are a bit different) and it’s just as fun (if not a bit scarier) than ever!
3. Peter Pan’s Flight. I had the pleasure of talking to Larry Nikolai (Creative Director, Walt Disney Imagineering Creative Entertainment) who is the creative director for the new magic elements that were added to Peter Pan’s Flight. He gave us some insight to the updated attraction and while we didn’t get a chance to see it while we were there last, we’ll definitely be checking it out on our next visit! It’s such a classic and has always been a family favorite.
4. Soarin’ Over California and the new Grizzly Peak Airfield. This newly renovated area of the park is SO perfect. You feel like you’re on a National Parks vacation and there are fun little details along the way. Soarin’ Over California has had updates to its screen and projection system (the scent seemed to be updated as well!) so it’s better than ever. The Redwood Creek Challenge Trail is a fun spot for active kids if you’ve never been, definitely check it out! Even my older boys loved it!
**Tip – this is a fun hidden mickey attraction. On the golf course instead of ducking from the golf ball, look closely as it travels towards you!
5. Diamond Mad T Party. I’ve said it before, but the Mad T Party is so much fun! Whether you (or your kids) like to dance or just people watch it’s such a fun place to take in the sights, music and let loose!
6. Merchandise! There are all kinds of fun things to choose from to commemorate Disneyland’s 60th Anniversary. Lots of blue (my favorite color) and silver/diamond. We loved the interactive ears and paintbrush! You can change the color of yours or other guests ears with the wave of your paintbrush! Plus, it interacts with the amazing new shows!
8. Paint the Night Parade. A new amazing LED electrical parade definitely worth the time to watch. With older kids it seems we’re always rushing to the rides, but this show is super visually attractive with great music and something everyone will love.
10. World of Color – Celebrate! The Wonderful World of Walt Disney. If you’ve never seen a World of Color presentation, you must! If you’ve seen it before you’re in for an awesome surprise. The show is new and incredible. Our favorite part of the show is a tough call between Walt Disney’s appearances and Star Wars!
11. New Enchanted Windows. Take a few extra minutes walking down Mainstreet USA and check out some new magical windows. I alway love how Disney can create something new without making it feel different. It’s like a new added bit of magic to the same sites you remember as a kid.
12. New Diamond Celebration Pressed Coins (or, as we like to call them, squished pennies). These are a favorite souvenir of ours. For just $.51 you can create and collect a fun souvenir from different spots throughout the Disneyland Resort.
**Tip – stop by City Hall in Disneyland park, Chamber of Commerce at Disney California Adventure park and select merchandise locations throughout the Disneyland Resort to pick up your own location guide for free! See more on the Disney Parks blog.