We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please see policies for more information.
Earlier this year we went whitewater rafting for the first time with Wilderness Aware Rafting on the Salt River outside of Phoenix, Arizona. It. Was. Amazing! We had SUCH A fun time and it was the perfect family adventure weekend. I wrote all about our trip from start to finish if you want to see what a 2 Day Expedition consists of. We started off having no idea that there even was whitewater rafting near Phoenix to conquering many Class III and IV rapids.
10 Reasons to go Whitewater Rafting with Your Teens
If you need some great reasons to look into a whitewater rafting trip with your family of teens, here are just 10 reasons that (in my opinion) will make you want to book your trip ASAP.
- Family Time – We did just an overnight trip but I would have LOVED to done a longer trip. Uninterrupted family time usually only comes when we schedule it and this was some of the best that we’ve ever had. Sitting in a raft chatting with our guide, talking with each other, riverside hikes, and of course, time at camp gave us some much needed time together as a family.
- No Electronics – Need I say more? And I’m not talking about just the kids! Our phones had ZERO service on this portion of the Salt River and wow was it refreshing.
- Teamwork – being in the raft you have to work together to row but the biggest benefit was that we just needed to listen to our guide so it wasn’t Dad or Mom barking out orders, we were all working together and following the same motions called out by our rafting guide. Not only IN the raft, but working to set up tents (the boys had their own at our camp) and all the teamwork that comes with camping.
- Being in Nature – There is so much to take in, learn, and experience by being in nature. We aren’t strangers to it but we also don’t take it in as much as we were able to on this weekend adventure. Such a gorgeous (and sacred in some parts) part of Arizona that you can only see from the water – plus, it’s SO MUCH FUN!
- Exercise – We rafted a long way on our quick trip and no one complained one bit! It was such a fun way to keep our bodies moving.
- Finding Strengths and Weaknesses – It’s always in the teamwork (especially setting up a tent) that you find or experience your families strengths and weaknesses. It also helps to remember that you’re better as a group than by yourself.
- Campfire Talk – If you’re a camper you know what I’m talking about. There’s just something about coming around a campfire to talk with your family and/or with others. We, as a society, need to do it much more often.
- The Quiet/Stillness – There were many times on the water that we quietly floated by without anyone saying anything. It was beautiful and calming and something we all needed I think.
- Meeting New People – The fun of an adventure trip like this is when you adventure with new people you definitely make new friends!
- Laughter – So much laughing. Whitewater rafting is FUN and we laughed so many times. At ourselves, at each other, and just because of the fact that we were having a blast.
Rafting with Wilderness Aware Rafting
Definitely look into taking a whitewater rafting trip with your family! I highly recommend at least an overnight if you can, it added so much to our experience. We really loved adventuring with Wilderness Aware Rafting and would highly recommend them. Here’s some more info I shared on the company and what it’s like rafting with them. Their season is wrapping up here in Phoenix so definitely book FAST and start your summer off right!