This site contains affiliate links. Please see policies for more information.
On our last day of the #Incredibles2Event (a trip that was sponsored by Disney to visit Pixar Studios and learn about Incredibles 2) we got to visit the Walt Disney Family Museum. I’ve been a few times now (with and without the boys) and I have loved every single visit. There is so much to take in that one visit isn’t enough. While obviously, big Walt Disney fans will want to visit the museum, there are so many reasons for ANYONE to visit. It’s an incredibly interesting and inspiring collection of information that I think anyone would enjoy.
Here are just SOME of the reasons why I love the Walt Disney Family Museum:
- The grounds are absolutely gorgeous. The Walt Disney Family Museum is located in the Presidio of San Francisco which is a National Historic Landmark. It’s absolutely beautiful to walk around and you can read the history as you go along.
- The Walt Disney Family Museum was started by Walt’s daughter Diane Disney Miller and it is still run by the Disney family. Because the family is the driving force behind the museum they make sure that the family story is preserved in the way they want the world to remember it. It is obvious that they wanted us to know how much of a family man Walt was and I love how they incorporated that throughout the museum. I also love the personal items displayed throughout. It makes it so much more than just movies and Disneyland.
- It’s so much more than Walt Disney. While Walt is truly a legacy, the museum is also about art, animation, creativity, technology, change, entertainment and family. There are so many things to learn.
- It’s interactive. There are many spots for kids to watch and listen. I love that many parts of the museum are narrated by Walt himself.
- Events. They hold some amazing events, classes, and extras. Their calendar of events always has something interesting going on. Right now they are advertising the Teen Animation Festival International that I would love to be able to participate in with my teens.
- Unique exhibitions. The Walt Disney Family museum has a different exhibition each time I visit. Right now they are showcasing the world of Glen Keane in an exhibit open now through September 3, 2018.
- Disneyland! My favorite exhibit is the room all about Disney parks. It has a huge (miniature) model of Disneyland with different attractions throughout the years. I also love the Lily Bell (the train) displayed along with tons of info about Walt’s love of trains and how Disneyland came to be.
- It’s a place to eat, shop, and relax. Not only is it a beautiful museum, but it has yummy food too! You can grab some lunch, head out to the grass, relax a little and go back in to learn more. I always get Walt’s Chili and an iced tea when I visit. So good!
There are so many more reasons to love the museum, but you definitely have to visit and experience it for yourself. Give yourself plenty of time to truly experience everything, but even if you don’t have all day – stop in and then plan to visit again when you’re in town next!