This site contains affiliate links. Please see policies for more information.
I was in Anaheim, CA a couple of weeks ago for the D23 Expo with my tween (12 year old) son. I thought it would be fun to go to Disneyland for the day just the two of us. Boy was I wrong.
10 Reasons NOT to take your Tween or Teen to Disneyland, especially by yourselves:
1. Laughing. Who wants to be caught laughing and having a great time with their tween. I mean, what if someone I know saw me?! Definitely don’t go on Maters Junkyard Jamboree in Cars Land if you don’t want to be caught laughing.
2. Single Rider Line. Who wants to wait less in line? I mean, rushing for fast passes or waiting for Radiator Springs Racers (which I’m sorry is totally worth any amount of wait) is the best ever.
3. Trying new things. I don’t know about you, but I never want to try new things. Like the watermelon lemonade at the Mad T Party. I never would have tried that if we hadn’t been wandering around together just taking in the sights of Hollywood Land in California Adventure, now I want it all the time.
4. You definitely don’t want to check out Halloweentime or Mickey’s Halloween Party especially now that tickets are available especially if you don’t want to see your tweens dressed up and having fun like they used to on Halloween. I mean, all those cute costumes, candy, treats and special events? No fun for tweens especially mine from last year.
5. If you don’t like improvements or magic you definitely don’t want to check out what’s new at Disneyland. That Hatbox Ghost especially, your tweens will just want to ride the Haunted Mansion all over again!
6. You definitely don’t want to spend all that extra talking time with your tween over dinner. Especially if you’re gluten free, all those options and the easy new allergy menus? You’ll just end up way too full and then crave the food for weeks, especially if you get the gluten free flatbread at Storytellers Cafe.
7. You’ll definitely NOT want to go and take a picture with a Mickey Ice Cream bar. It will just make everyone at home jealous. Even if you are just visiting Downtown Disney and can get a bar in the gift shop at the Disneyland Hotel.
8. You shouldn’t take your tween or teen to Disneyland because they’ll just want to stay out late and then you’ll have to see the castle at night all lit up and fancy for the 60th Anniversary Diamond Celebration. It will just make you want to do the same to your house.
9. If you take your tween or teen to Disneyland you’ll HAVE to stop at all the new photo spots for pictures. It’s some sort of rule. Then you’ll just end up with too many photos to frame.
10. You should definitely not take your tween or teen to Disneyland because you’ll have an amazing time just being together and when it’s finally time to leave you really won’t want to.
I don’t think I need a disclaimer, but yes I’m being completely sarcastic. Being at Disneyland with just my 12 year old was seriously so much fun and relaxed. We can’t WAIT to go back – especially for all the new Star Wars fun!
*Disclosure: we were provided media passes but were not compensated in any other way or required to post. All opinions, ideas and crazy fan-girling are my own.