This site contains affiliate links. Please see policies for more information.
Looking for things to do with your kids this summer? Coming up with ideas is tough, especially if you can’t pack their summer full of camps and planned activities. Here is a big list of summer activities for kids no matter what age they are.
If you have older kids, sometimes a schedule or time limits help. So they can play video games after they’ve spent x amount of time reading, doing an activity or game etc. If you have a mix of ages have the older kids be in charge of activity ideas.
Activities for Kids: Theme Weeks
One “trick” that can make it easier for you (or the kids) to come up with ideas to do throughout the week is by giving each week a theme. We did this for several summers and it not only helped me as the parent to come up with ideas for things to do, it got the kids excited to think up activities as well.
Themes can be general, supply based, holiday focused etc. Here are some ideas of themes that we’ve done in the past.
- Plastic Cups
- Paper Plates
- Digital to Real Life
There are so many options for theme weeks depending on what your kids are into. Brainstorm some of your own ideas and see how many activities, snacks and books you can come up with for the week to fit the theme!
Other At Home Activities for Kids
If you’re not into making a complete theme you can still check out the links above for some fun activity ideas. Pinterest is chock full of them as well. If you aren’t wanting to set up a specific craft or game here are some other at home activity ideas to keep the kids busy this summer.
- Learn new card games
- Learn some easy magic tricks and put on a magic show
- Write and perform a play or concert
- Make a band out of household objects
- Make a stop motion movie
- Make up your own board game and play it for family game night
- Have a paper airplane contest
- Make an obstacle course
- Build a fort
- Come up with a product to sell
- Learn to code
- Buy some old electronics at a thrift store and take them apart
- Bake something
- Have a garage sale and plan a day out with the earnings
Things to do this summer outside of the home
If you can get out of the house and have some summer fun with your kids, here are some ideas of things you can do together.
- Explore a new park
- Visit the pet store
- Go on a day trip
- Visit a National Park
- Get a POGO Pass for your City – grab a coupon code here.
- Go to the movies
- Visit the library
- Go on a hike
- Go camping (even if it’s just in the backyard)
- Visit thrift stores
- Volunteer – try VolunteerMatch to find something in your area
- Have a picnic
- Go on a scavenger hunt
- Go on a photo tour
- Find and attend a free concert
- Visit a farm and pick your own fruits or veggies
- Go to a water park
Activities for Tweens, teens, or Older Kids
Some of the activity ideas above are great for any age. Teens can definitely get into photo tours, making their own movies, or even thrifting (mine love to look for records or movies). Here are some other ideas specifically for older kids (besides getting a job).
- Plan summer camp for younger kids
- Read (make it more fun by making a reading nook with string lights and bean bags or pillows) visit the library for new books and ask your friends what they’ve been reading and loving
- Practice photography skills and post processing
- Plan a themed party for your friends (shark week is coming up)
- Try new recipes
- Ask someone to help you learn to work on a car (change a tire, change the oil, etc.)
- Have an outdoor movie night
- Go on a bike ride
- Make a time capsule
- Re-arrange your room
- Do a puzzle
- Learn to play a new game
- Make a crazy dessert or mocktails in a fun glass
- Spend a day coming up with a huge list of things to do. Put them all in a jar and choose from the jar when you’re bored.
- Write a blog post and submit it to blogs – maybe you’ll get featured!
- Have a glow party
- Help an older person with their technology