We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please see policies for more information.
Sponsored by Lorex.
It’s been about a month since we had our Lorex camera system installed and some of you had some questions so I thought I’d share a little bit more about the system we have and how it works / how we use it. Lorex has a wide range of products and solutions so this is just our experience with the cameras we have. There are many options to choose from depending on what you’re looking for.
We wanted to install cameras after several of our neighbors had some installed and were loving being able to peek at their home when they were away. They could even check in on ours when we were out of town. There are many options to choose from but I love the quality, clarity, and dependability we’ve had with Lorex!
I think the thing I love the most about having Lorex cameras installed is that I can monitor them remotely anytime and anywhere I am. I travel a lot and can’t tell you how much better it makes me feel to know that I can check in on the house whenever I want. I can actually access my cameras on my phone or my laptop. I was just at a conference and was able to show some friends how cool it was to be able to pull up all the cameras at once on once screen to see what was happening live at home.
Not only can I see what is happening live, but I can access history as well. I have alerts set up to notify me on my phone when there is movement on a camera so if I don’t check on the movement right away, it’s great to know that I can go back to see what caused the alert later on.
One of the things I love is that I can adjust the movement alerts and even the recorded areas of the camera. So if I don’t want the system alerting me of movement (cars driving by) on the street in front of the house, I can actually set that area on my system. The motion zones and detection are all completely configurable and they have super helpful videos on setting it all up. So even if you aren’t super tech savvy, it just takes a little time to walk through a video and you’ll be able to do it all on your own.
There are actually several ways to see content from your Lorex cameras depending on your setup. With our dvr, we can view live video (check to see who’s at the door when it rings), playback history, and even pull up a rapid recap where you can watch up to 12 hours of motion activity in minutes.
Depending on your setup you don’t even have to have your phone on you to view your cameras which was one of the questions a few readers asked. Our DVR is set up with a computer monitor which can constantly display live video from our cameras. When someone rings the doorbell we can see who is there and if we need to answer it right away. In this house it’s probably a delivery since I order everything online!
Here are some of the features we love and would recommend Lorex for:
- Lorex has been selling security cameras for almost 25 years
- They are readily available online and at our favorite stores if we want to add on (Costco, Best Buy, Sams Club…)
- The quality is incredible and not just during the day. They are also really well made and our outdoor cameras are weatherproof and vandal-resistant.
- All of the Lorex DVRs and NVRs can be connected to an HD TV or monitor.
- As I mentioned above, you can customize the sensitivity of the video motion detection to suit your needs, so you are only made aware of larger movements, like people, and not small movements like a leaf in the wind. You can also pick sections of the screen that you want your recorder to watch for movement.
- You can set up the video motion detection to send push notifications (or email alerts) with video snapshots to notify you.
- You do NOT need to have a service plan for their cameras to work. You can choose to just store footage locally to the DVR or NVR hard drive if you wish. Every system sold by Lorex does include a free Lorex Cloud plan, though. Their free plan includes 2 days of cloud history, 10GB of cloud storage, and 3 RapidRecaps per month for one of your security cameras. For additional cloud storage, you can purchase a Lorex Cloud premium subscription plan which will keep your recordings for 30 days with unlimited storage space and unlimited RapidRecaps.
We are all loving the simple peace of mind and fun our Lorex cameras give us. I appreciate that every question I’ve had I’ve been able to find an answer or video walkthrough. Check out their website to see if they have a solution for your family. I’m currently researching cameras to put INSIDE to check on the dogs when we’re gone!