This site contains affiliate links. Please see policies for more information.
I almost called this gift guide kids who love travel, but it’s great for kids who aren’t so fond of it! Here is a collection of items that are great for car rides, Dr. office waits, restaurants and of course, plane travel.
My boys have been great travelers since they were little. We’ve had our moments but for the most part, they were awesome. I am surprised on MANY flights how many parents don’t prepare ahead of time and pack snacks as well as LOTS of different things for their kids to do. A Nintendo DS and a book might be all a tween/teen needs but anything younger than that should definitely have options! Here are some ideas of activities and things you could gift to kids of different ages to use while they’re on the go.
- Book light – one of our favorite travel purchases for many years. The boys loved these ones that can go around your neck. This one is even better because you can stand it up too!
- Portable Charger – a MUST for travel. I make sure everyone has their own when we go. This one always gets great reviews.
- Lap Tray – keep things near by and create a little table in the car. I love that this one has a cup holder.
- Travel Tangrams – I have always loved Tangrams for travel. I like that this one is a big magnetic book!
- These Kids’ Guides are great and come in many different editions!
- Tape Activity Book – great for kids that want to stay busy. Even better than a sticker book because the tape can be easily replaced!
- The “Mom” I’m Bored Book – enough said and even comes with a dry erase marker. *Tip – pack an extra marker or two if you’re taking this on the road.
- Nintendo Switch – we LOVE the switch. You can play it easily on the go and it provides a different gameplay experience than a smaller device. This is fun to play with the family in hotel rooms too!
- Wikki Stix – a restaurant favorite. They are wax sticks you can mold and create with.
- Kids’ Travel Journal – an interactive travel journal for kids. Much easier than a blank one for kids who don’t love to write.
- Nintendo 2DS – even though we have a Nintendo Switch we still grab the 2DS for car rides and travel. It’s just so compact and easy!
- Water Wow! – my nieces LOVE these re-usable books and all you need is access to a little water to put into the brush!