We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please see policies for more information.
Free Comic Book Day is THIS Saturday May 3, 2014! For the last couple of years my boys have loved Free Comic Book Day!
Check out their site and on the left side there is a box to enter your zipcode to find participating stores in your area.
If you’ve never been there are specific comics for Free Comic Book Day that are free but a lot of the locations will have tons and tons of free or greatly reduced comic books for sale as well. I think we spent a grand total of like $3 last year and this was their loot!
Some stores may also have special guest appearances!
Tip: Comic books have ratings like tv shows or video games so make sure you pay attention to those before purchasing if you have younger kids. Some have adult themes and images that you may not want your younger kiddos reading.
For example this is the Marvel rating system
- ALL AGES – Appropriate for all ages.
- T – Appropriate for most readers, but parents are advised that they might want to read before or with younger children.
- T+ TEENS AND UP – Appropriate for teens 13 and above.
- PARENTAL ADVISORY – Appropriate for older teens. Similar to T+, but featuring more mature themes and/or more graphic imagery. Recommended for teen and adult readers.
- EXPLICIT CONTENT – 18+ years old Most Mature Readers books will fall under the MAX Comics banner, (created specifically for mature content titles) MAX and Mature-themed titles will continue to be designed to appear distinct from mainline Marvel titles, with the “MAX: Explicit Content” label very prominently displayed on the cover. MAX titles will NOT be sold on the newsstand, and they will NOT be marketed to younger readers.
This is an awesome idea! Too bad none of the stores close to us are participating. We might make a day trip out of this to a bigger city.