We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please see policies for more information.
At the end of The Incredibles we got to see that Jack-Jack does indeed have powers, but the Incredible family did not. He definitely has powers and during the Disney sponsored #Incredibles2Event we were treated to an entire presentation just on Jack-Jack!
If you haven’t seen the movie yet and don’t want spoilers, don’t read through this entire post quite yet! Instead, go check out:
- Our Review & print some printables
- Pixar Studios Here I Come
- What It’s Like to Visit Pixar Animation Studios & Archives
- 7 Things I Learned From Pixar About the Costumes for Incredibles 2
- Incredibles 2 Set Design & Action Scenes
- Why I’m Already in Love with Incredibles 2
- All About Bao
All About Jack-Jack
We got to hear from Supervising Animator Tony Fucile, Effects Supervisor Bill Watral and Effects Artist Jason Johnston in a presentation all about Jack-Jack. As cute as he was in the first film, he definitely takes a little more screen time in Incredibles 2 and for a good reason – he may be the most powerful Incredible family member yet!
The team behind creating Jack-Jack had their work cut out for them. He was definitely a favorite in the first and since only a few months have past since the Incredibles they had to make sure that he didn’t change dramatically for the audience but also include his MANY superpowers.
Tony Fucile told us that they studied how babies moved and discovered some little quirks that you’d only see if you payed close attention. Like, “The way they walk on their toes or catch themselves when they fall. There is a blend of athleticism, when they can control themselves, and awkward wobbling when they can’t.”
They also made sure to add in a little more expression in his face AND gave him another tooth (it has been a few months and those baby teeth pup up out of nowhere)!
In the film Bob says that Jack-Jack has 17 superpowers. Here are the ones the boys & I came up with:
- Metal Baby
- Demon Baby
- Goblin Baby
- Fire Baby (this was tough for the team to figure out how to animate and they ended up creating several layers to make the right “look” that wasn’t too scary for kids)
- Sticky/Blob Baby
- Vibrating Baby
- Laser eyes (several options)
- Wormhole creation and travel
- Walking through things
- Shape Shifting (he can morph to look like others)
- Rocket-propulsion sneezes
- Duplication (can duplicate/clone himself)
- Rapid Expansion (e.g., Giant Baby Mode)
- Super Strength
- Strong Skin / Protection / Ability to come out Unscathed?
There may be more and some of these may be actually one power (like goblin/Demon baby?) but that’s what we came up with! Either way, my favorite scene in Incredibles 2 was when Jack-Jack fought a racoon in the backyard and we got to see most of these powers for the first hand.
Incredibles 2 is out in theaters NOW! Go see it if you haven’t already! We can’t wait to see it again.