We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. Please see policies for more information.
We LOVE a good movie night around here! We don’t always schedule them, but a lot of times we try to elevate family movie time with fun snacks, a game or anything to make it a little different each time.
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate link. Movie was sent to us for review but we were not compensated to post.
There are all different kinds of movie nights. My favorite ones usually aren’t planned and are much needed. Here are some things you can have on hand to elevate your typical movie night and make your house the BEST place to catch a new flick.
- Popcorn bowl – everyone needs a snack, I love this enamel popcorn bowl.
- Announce your night with a marquee – I love this new one from Heidi Swapp, there are all kinds of letters and symbols you can get to add to it! photo from Scrapbook.com
- Stovetop Popcorn Popper – you need something to make the popcorn in and this original Whirly Pop does the job with a bit of nostalgia.
- Chocolate Covered Pretzel…Pillow! This isn’t a snack it’s a pillow – so cute!
- A good cup – everyone in our house loves these Bubba cups. They’re big, easy to clean and the straws are soft so you don’t hurt your mouth when you take a drink while enthralled with the movie (not that I’ve done that a million times or anything).
- Popcorn Pillow – you can never have too many pillows on movie night. Especially food pillows.
- Now Showing Printable – put this in a frame and then write in your movie and time with a dry erase marker!
- Shark blanket – blankets are also important for movie night. This shark blanket especially. I mean…
- A movie! This week’s movie was The Finest Hours since it JUST came out on Blu-Ray and Digital HD today. We didn’t get to see this in theaters so I was excited to finally sit down and watch it.
We always buy movies in the Blu-Ray/Digital HD set if we can. We have 1 Blu-Ray player but the other tv is hooked up to Apple TV so no matter which room we’re in for movie night we’d be able to watch the movie.
The Finest Hours is PG-13 and I have older boys, we all use Common Sense Media to see if a film is appropriate for our family. The movie is awesome but I think we might have enjoyed the bonus features even more! My boys loved ” THE FINEST INSPIRATION: THE U.S. COAST GUARD – Meet the people who put their lives on the line for others.”
If you haven’t heard of it here’s the synopsis: “This heroic action-thriller is based on the extraordinary true story of the greatest small-boat rescue in Coast Guard history. In 1952, a massive winter storm strikes off the coast of Cape Cod, ripping a T-2 oil tanker in half and trapping more than 30 sailors inside its rapidly sinking stern. When word of the disaster reaches the U.S. Coast Guard, four men led by Captain Bernie Webber (Chris Pine) set out in a 12-seat boat on a daring mission to rescue the stranded men, braving freezing cold, 60-foot waves and hurricane-force winds, and guided by Webber’s vow that “We all live, or we all die.” Packed with thrilling, larger-than-life action and anchored in a belief in the strength of the human spirit, The Finest Hours is a triumph.”
A great choice for movie night this week with your older kids or for just the parents! Here’s one of the deleted scenes from the Blu-Ray